Today we have fun facts about China for kids of all ages! The world’s most populous country has many interesting facts. Not only will you learn about the total population, but you’ll learn other China facts about the country’s long history.
China Facts for kids
- China, officially the Republic of China is one of the oldest civilizations and is currently a country in East Asia with a land area of 3,700,000 square miles – almost as big as the United States!
- China is the world’s most populous country, with 1.4 billion people, 56 ethnic groups, and even 35 million who live in caves.
- Chinese New Year lasts 16 days, beginning on the new moon that appears between 21 January and 20 February.
- The People’s Republic of China is home to many animal species, like the giant panda, Tibetan macaques, giant salamanders, and over 400 reptile species.
- The tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, is found between the China-Nepal border and has an elevation of 29,000 feet.
- The Forbidden City was built in Beijing to consolidate the Ming emperor Zhu Di’s imperial power and protect his security.
- The Chinese language is the most widely spoken worldwide and one of the oldest still in use today.
- The country has two special administrative regions, Hong Kong and Macau, and they are highly independent from China.
- Though China is almost as wide as the continental United States, the whole country is officially in just one time zone.
- Chinese people have used chopsticks to cook and eat Chinese food for over 3,000 years.
- Offering a cup of tea to older generations by the younger generations is a way to respect one’s elders in China.
- Yangtze River is the longest river in China and the third longest in the world, and it flows 3915 miles within the country.
Bonus Fun Facts About China:
- Chinese history is very large. Ancient China spans over 1800 years; there were three main dynasties, including the Qin dynasty, and that’s when the first parts of the Great Wall of China were built (UNESCO world heritage site).
- China has five autonomous regions: Guangxi, Inner Mongolia, Ningxia, Tibet, and Xinjiang. They have their own local government but under Chinese law.
- Chinese mythology is very important to Chinese culture, for example, only the emperor could wear clothes that had pictures of the dragon as it was a symbol of power.
- Chinese population is so large that it counts as almost one third of the population size worldwide.
- China’s railway lines are so extensive and long that they could loop around Earth twice.
- The Ancient Chinese were the first people to drink tea, although it was mostly used for medicine.
This article contains affiliate links.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR CHINA FACTS COLORING SHEETS
These China fun facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
This pdf file includes two coloring sheets loaded with fun facts about China that you don’t want to miss. Print as many sets as needed and give them to friends or family!
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE CHINA FACTS PDF FILE
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
What was your favorite China fact?
Leave a Reply